Who's Online
None

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skitals

re: "Ulduar isn't going to be a lot harder."

For those hoping Ulduar would up the difficulty (blue post):

Now Naxx was designed to be easy, and Ulduar isn't going to be a lot harder.

On their new found philosophy:

Your old model towards end game was a success, it brought you eleven million players.
Most of whom never had a chance to finish a raid. They didn't get to see some of the best art in the game, hear the unique music or voice over, or in many cases even see the villian at the end of their quest line. From a production POV, instances are very expensive. It seems an odd choice to lavish all that attention on such a tiny percent of the player base.

At the same time, we know there are players who love a challenge and are willing to do almost anything to beat a raid-destroying boss provided they also have a shot at the best loot. They don't want the instances to be over too soon. They like banging their head against the wall.

And so hard modes were born. We tested the water a little with Obsidian Sanctum. We're going full bore with Ulduar.

link

nothing new here, They have said many times normal mode raiding will be much easier. In fact, they said this before WotLK even launched, and nothing has changed. The interesting thing will be the hard modes.
Quote:

And so hard modes were born. We tested the water a little with Obsidian Sanctum. We're going full bore with Ulduar.

The stars are blazin like rebel diamonds, cut out of the sun
Skitals

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. I thought they wanted to make entry leveling raiding more accessible. I didn't know they were going to make EVERYTHING easy.

What does everyone think about "hard modes"? Is it a good enough substitute for overall harder instances?

All I can say is I dont like seeing a million retards running around in the same Teir/gear as me, with the exclusion of the occasional boot/glove/trinket that may come from a hard mode.

/cry

www.aloneguild.com
Starsblazin

dabo7 wrote:
All I can say is I dont like seeing a million retards running around in the same Teir/gear as me, with the exclusion of the occasional boot/glove/trinket that may come from a hard mode.

/cry

I think thats the catch, blizzard has said there will be 10 hard-modes. I think for ulduar to be successful, they need better/more noticeable weapons a.k.a main hand weapons for hard-mode achievements

The stars are blazin like rebel diamonds, cut out of the sun
Skitals

What really baffles me, is I thought this was the point of normal (10) and heroic (25) modes? As it is, one isn't really harder than the other. Except 25 man drops better loot. If they want everyone to be able to experience the content, why not just keep 10 man the way it is, and make 25 man significantly harder?

I guess I will reserve judgement. I will just be upset if a million guilds down the Lich King a week after Icecrown comes out...

Here's the thing,10man sarth3d is harder than 25man.25 man loot is better than ten man. I don't agree with this being ok. Twentyfive should be harder than ten. Fix in ulduar ktnx, wtb real challenges.

Ps. Posted from iPhone sorry for spelling/grammar

Comming from a bussiness stand point this move makes a lot of sense for blizzards bottom line. That said... there are few points that i wish to see addressed to make us and the rest of blizzards customer base happy.

1. Blizz wants to make raiding more accesable. Fine. If they make the normal modes easier thats cool with me. I personally dont want to do them as much but if for the sake of pugging and not having to do extrodinary feats to moderately gear an alt thats cool. The trick here is to scale hard modes better. Hard modes should be just that. HARD! and they should scale... normal is easy, one drake changes the fight significantly and two drakes overhauls the way you approach the same fight and is significantly harder. While Three Drakes is Really difficult and whole new and different mechanics may have to be implemented in order to complete this hard mode. (drakes here were used as an analog to the levels of hardness. not that i think that that is how Sarth reallly is).

2. Loot. I agree with Dabo. When you see neebs running around with leet gear that they got dragged all the way to it doesn't mean as much. And so i think that in order for blizz to make its point and still accomodate everyone there should be different levels of teir with noticeable changes that will be instantly recognizeable. I would like to see that when i get into a five man w/ someone that i can tell. Oh... this guy has done X and has lots of loot from X. and that should tell me something about this guys skill. Neebs are going to want teir. there is no getting around it... so blizz wants their money and is going to accomodate that, but i also believe that blizz can make teir 8.hard that is noticeably different and shinier so that it stands out in a crowd. They can make Weapons that are Iconic and stand for you having accomplished X, in addition to them being supremely bad ass stats wise. Neebs get "fat epics"... we get "PHAT epics".

3. Also. Achievements are not a substitute for a fight that yeilds loot, unless the achievement itself yeilds loot. If im in Dalaran or on the IF bridge my black proto drake doesnt do me shit... but it makes people in the know turn their head if they see it. We need that kind of power but in a format that we can use on the IF bridge... a "yeah im badass sword" or a yeah im badass flag that grants an aura of "bad assness" that you can cast on yourself so that anyone in eyesight knows... man that guy is a bad ass.

So to you people who dont want to see the lich king downed by a million guilds a would say dont hold your breath. Based on Blizz's new direction its going to happen... what i hope to see is that the hard mode of downing the lich king yeields the most supremely bad ass and iconic gear in the game. Like Frost mourne only drops on hard mode... and a caster version of a frostmourne type drop occurs. I want the recongnition of doing the hard shit as well as the hard shit being actually hard. As long as blizz does that then they can let who ever they want actually see the death animation of the lich king... which is really what the majority of the customer base wants. We just get the loot and the recognition.

Everybody wins IMO. Blizz. Us. Neebsicles like Kneeb aswell.
dabo7
Officer

Quote:
grants an aura of "bad assness"

I pretty much do this already :D

www.aloneguild.com
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alone Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: